Thursday, February 03, 2011

come in to come out

a mystic fog shrouding this valley until the spring-ish sunshine burns it away to get the gorgeous day started, krispy kremes, and Annie's permission to be a hermit:

It is winter proper; the cold weather, such as it is, has come to stay. I bloom indoors in the winter like a forced forsythia; I come in to come out. At night I read and write, and things I have never understood become clear; I reap the harvest of the rest of the year's planting.

Annie Dillard

1 comment:

bekah said...

Ah, Annie Dillard. Beautiful.

I thought of you a lot yesterday during our ice day. I remember how you would be upset when Chicagoland kept functioning even during deathly snow storms. You told us that it was God's way of telling us to slow down. Yesterday was helpful in easing me slowly into this semester, for which I am grateful. It was a chance for me to appreciate the people I love and to "hunker down" in a warm place for awhile. Thank God. mmmm good.